Chicken Noodle Soup
1 Can cooked Chicken
4-8 cups chicken broth use water if you must to reach 6-8 cups
2 can crm of chicken soup
1 can crm of celery soup
Frozen mixed veggies
Salt and pepper
Parsley apx 2 T.
A sprinkle of poultry seasoning
Tortilla cut into strips
Dump all ingredients into a soup pot except for tortillas, simmer until flavors blend. Just before serving add tortilla cook for about 10 min
This would probably be even better if made by boiling your own chicken, thus creating your own broth.
Also you could add a can of Rotel tomatoes, perhaps some green chilies, and some Mexican spices/herbs and you would have a really good Chicken Tortilla Soup.
For the soup:
1 3-4 lb whole Chicken or 3-4 chicken backs
Water to cover chicken
1 Chopped onion
1 or 2 grated carrots
3 stalks chopped celery
Cream Soup (chicken, Chicken & Mushroom, or Mushroom use what you have on hand) I would not use celery soup or any other strong flavor
- Put chicken, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, parsley, onion, carrots, and celery in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook till chicken is done, remove from water, allow to cool until easy to handle, remove all meat from bones, chop into bite size pieces if necessary, return meat to chicken stock
- Add cream soup, stir till mixed well. At this point you can add some extra veggies if you wish, sometimes I add frozen peas or some mixed veggies.
For the dumplings: (I usually make a recipe and a half, Measurements in ( )
3 C flour (4 1/2)
2 T baking powder (3 T)
3 T sugar (4 1/2 T)
3/4 C Crisco (1 C + 2 T)
3/4 t salt (1 t+ 1/2 t)
3/4 t cream of tartar (1 t+ 1/2 t)
1 C milk (1 1/2 C)
- Sift dry ingredients together
- Cut in shortening
- Add milk stir till just moistened
- On floured surface, knead briefly, then roll out to about 1/4 inch thick
- Cut into squares (I use a pizza cutter)
- Drop into rapidly boiling stock one or two at a time, cover, lower heat, cover and cook about 10 min
- Don't worry about the extra flour on the dumplings it will help thicken the broth
Special Tomato Soup
Butter to sauté apx 1/4 C
1/4 C each:
Onion chopped finely
Celery chopped finely
Bell Pepper chopped finely
1 can Campbell's tomato soup
Apx 1 T. Pesto
Add a dash of crushed red pepper or cayenne
A sprinkle of basil or Italian seasoning
In a sauce pan sauté onion, celery and peppers in butter until tender and transparent. Add soup per directions on can. Milk can be substituted for water for a creamier less "tomato-ie" flavor. Heat to serving temperature.