Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday morning, count your blessing...

The other day I received a most unexpected phone call.  I can't say alot about it to the world, but a few very special people in my life know what I am talking about.  This is the first blessing I am being thankful for today, and now for the rest of them:
  1. My children. 
  2. My grandchildren all 14 of them.
  3. My husband even though he seems at times to deliberately push my buttons.
  4. My home.
  5. My health.
  6. The friends and neighbors who make my life comfortable.
  7. The people who come into my life to challenge me.
  8. The people who inspire me.
  9. The wonderful Christus House Clinic and all the people who volunteer there.
  10. And last but most definitely not the least, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for without him, none of the above is possible.
OK, now for the hum-drum, normal daily stuff.

On the menu for today: DeBone Chicken stuffed with Cornbread Dressing (more on this to follow), My Mama'a Creamed Spinach, and something with some peaches I found in my freezer, that I need to cook.

For those you you that live in the east Texas area near Longview, Tyler, Noonday or Lindale, you simple must go by your nearest Herberts Meats, home of Deboned chickens.  They carry a variety of meats, poultry and fish that is hard to beat.  Everything from sausages to turducken, steaks to kabobs, red beans and sausage to Boudin Balls, meat pies to shrimp augratins, and much of this can be bought fresh or frozen.  So far I have had: the meat pies, the shrimp augratin, the stuffed chicken with broccoli and cheese, and today the deboned chicken stuffed with cornbread dressing and all of it has been great.  Here are the East Texas addresses and a phone number  for more information: phone # for all three stores call 903-247-meat, Longview address 2329 W Loop 281, Noonday 16949 Hwy 155 S and Lindale2304 S Main St.  I mean really you won't regret it...


 My Mama's Creamed Spinach

  • 2 cans Spinach drained and as much liquid squeezed out as you can without turning it into mush
  • 3 hard boiled eggs peeled, and chopped or grated (I grated 2 then chopped one I wanted to see the eggs)
  • 3 T butter
  • 3 T flour
  • Salt and pepper
  • Apx. 1 t dried minced onion
  • Garlic powder
  • 1 C milk maybe a little more
  • 1/4 C Parmesan Cheese divided
  • Bread crumbs (I used panko)


Make a roux using the butter, flour  seasonings, stirring in the milk just before it starts to brown (a little bit brown is ok). Stir in the eggs.   Allow to thicken then add a little over 1/2 the cheese. Cook till thick, remember that spinach already has some liquid in it you don't want the creamed spinach to be runny.  Put the spinach in a lightly greased casserole dish pour in the cream sauce a little at a time ( I used almost all of the sauce, but you might like a little less or a little more) gently stirring as you add it so that all the spinach is covered.  Finally sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese top with the bread crumbs, then bake at about 350* till hot and bubbly.


And finally the something peachy.  A peach pound cake that I found online, it is to wet and it fell some, but it taste really good, I'm going to have to work on this recipe a little before I publish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment