Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Bringing them home for supper


If I ever wanted everyone home for a meal, all I had to do was say  chicken and dumplings were on the menu.  My family wanted more of the soup and dumplings, than chicken, so many times I used backs and wings to make the stock, which made this a very inexpensive meal, as well as, a warm up the insides, comfort food.  You can make it with canned chicken and broth if you wish, but this recipe has worked in my family for 2 generations, starting with Mama Byrd, it brought me and my 5 brother home for supper every time (even after they were grown and married).  Think I'll make some for supper Thursday night, it has the same effect on my son-in-law.  Merry Christmas all...

Grandmaw's Chicken'n Dumplins

For the soup:
1 3-4 lb whole Chicken or 3-4 chicken backs
Water to cover chicken
Salt
Pepper
Poultry seasoning
Parsley
1 Chopped onion
1 or 2 grated carrots
3 stalks chopped celery
Cream Soup  (chicken, Chicken & Mushroom, or Mushroom use what you have on hand) I would not use celery soup or any other strong flavor

  • Put chicken, water, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, parsley, onion, carrots, and celery in a large soup pot.
  • Bring to a boil and cook till chicken is done, remove chicken from water, allow to cool until easy to handle, remove all meat from bones, chop into bite size pieces if necessary, return meat to chicken stock
  • Add cream soup, stir till mixed well.   At this point you can add some extra veggies if you wish, sometimes I add frozen peas or a bag of mixed veggies.

For the dumplings: (I usually make a recipe and a half,  Measurements in ( )
3 C   flour   (4 1/2)
2  T   baking powder   (3 T)
3  T   sugar    (4 1/2 T)
3/4 C  Crisco    (1 C + 2 T)
3/4 t  salt   (1 t+ 1/2 t)
3/4  t  cream of tartar  (1 t+ 1/2 t)
1 C   milk   (1 1/2 C)

  • Sift dry ingredients together
  • Cut in shortening
  • Add milk stir till just moistened
  • On floured surface, knead briefly, then roll out to about 1/4 inch thick
  • Cut  into squares  (I use a pizza cutter)
  • Drop into rapidly boiling stock one or two at a time, cover, lower heat, cover and cook about 10 min
  • Don't worry about the extra flour on the dumplings it will help thicken the broth

No comments:

Post a Comment