Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Here goes number 2...

Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011

Hannah, Allison and Sara Ann
Today the girls and I did a whole lot of nothing, we slept in, ate an early lunch or a late breakfast...what ever you want to call it.  Late this afternoon I tried a new recipe I found on Tasty Kitchen called Soft Pretzel Bites.  The outside was as it should be crunchy and salty, but I think I should have let them rest or rise a little, before I put them in the oven, the inside was a little doughy, they were done just not what I though it should be.
Madison



Right now I have a pan of Hobo Dinner on the stove to feed 5 grandkids, my daughter, my husband and me. I made enough to send some home with Mari Ann to her husband Shawn, who's feeling a little under the weather.  For those of you who do not know what Hobo Dinner is, it is a one pot meal my mother came up with to feed myself, my 5 very hungry brothers and mama and daddy, we all loved Hobo night at the Byrd house.  It's made up mostly of rice, hamburger and a can of tomatoes.  The rest fo the ingredients can vary depending on what I have available.  This time I chopped up an onion, some celery, threw in a can of corn and a couple of Bay leaves, and salt and pepper of course.  Then I added a couple of cups of rice, 3 - 1/2  cups of beef broth.  Simmer till the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.  A glass of milk and some bread and butter makes this one of my favorite comfort meals.
From far left:  Mari Ann, married to my brother Billy Joe; Mari Ann,
 my daughter and Mary Byrd aka mama Byrd.  The caption should be
"Is it done yet?"

Got to go check on my supper, good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment