Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hope you are having a Blessed Easter...

Sorry about the chipped plate, my husband has chipped all but a couple,
 of these, he's so rough with with stuff
Here's what was on my menu for Easter Sunday.  It is a meal that I hope will show my thanksgiving for this day.  I put a lot of thought and work into it and I hope everyone enjoys the fruits of my labor and love.  There is Orange Glazed Pork Roast, Potatoes Romanoff, Green Beans, Legendary Lion House Rolls (the ones I froze last Sunday) and for desert Lemon Buttermilk Pie and a Chocolate Buttermilk Pie.  All of these recipes I found on the Tasty Kitchen web site except for the Lemon Buttermilk Pie which is a recipe I got from my mother, so many years ago.  I also made a couple of changes in the Potatoes Romanoff  and the Green Bean recipes from the links above, (I found out to late that I was short a couple of ingredients).  If you haven't checked out this site you really need to it's got all kinds of recipes which lead to inspiration in you own kitchen.


Potatoes Romanoff II
Ingredients
  • 4 whole Large Russet Potatoes, Unpeeled
  • 2 teaspoons salt (kosher or sea)
  • ¾ cups Minced Shallots
  • 1 - 8 oz, pkg. (2 cups) Triple Cheddar Cheese grated/shredded
  • ¼ teaspoons Freshly Ground Pepper
  • 1 stick 1/2 C butter melted
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 1 Cup ricotta Cheese
  • 1/2 C grated cheddar cheese
Preparation Instructions
Step 1:  1-2 days before serving:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Scrub and dry potatoes removing all dirt and sprouts if any, drizzle with oil I prefer Olive oil, and sprinkle with Kosher or sea salt. Place on baking sheet and bake at 45min. - 1 hour, till done.  Let cool to room temperature, then put potatoes on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
Step 2: day of serving or day before serving:  Dice the chilled potatoes, including skins into approx.. 1/4 inch cubes, place into a large bowl, sprinkle in the shallots, grated cheese, and pepper. Then pour in the melted butter and fold in sour cream and ricotta.
Transfer mixture to a greased 2 quart gratin dish, making sure that you don’t pack it in the dish! Allow it to fall into the dish, then spread it evenly in the dish without pressing it down.  Covered with plastic wrap and refrigerate till needed.
Step 3: day of serving:  Bake at 350 degrees F until the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.  Remove from oven, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top return to oven till melted.  Serves 8.


And since I can't not for the life of me leave a recipe alone here's how I did the green beans.


Maple Wrapped Green Beans II
Ingredients

  • 1 pound frozen Whole Green Beans thawed
  • Dashes Of Salt And Pepper
  • 8 strips Bacon 
  • 1 TablespoonButter
  • 1-½ teaspoonBrown Sugar
  • 1 TablespoonMaple Syrup

Preparation Instructions

Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Sprinkle the bacon with the pepper.  Grab 6-10 beans and group them together.
Wrap the cluster with a piece of bacon in a spiral fashion covering as much of the beans as you can and place them, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the beans.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat butter, brown sugar and maple syrup until melted. Using a brush, liberally apply the butter mixture over the green bean bundles until covered.
Bake for 45-60 minutes until the bacon is crispy and brown.


Oh darn, I forgot to put the glaze on the beans, but the girls still loved them, bet they would have liked them even better with the glaze...Oh well, maybe next time I won't forget.

a little too brown...but not burned
 Lemon Buttermilk Pie

  1        Stick  Oleo -- room temp.
  2        T  Lemon Juice
  2        C  Sugar
  1        t  Vanilla
  3        T  Flour
  5        Eggs -- added one at a time
  1        C  Buttermilk
  1        t.  Lemon Peel -- grated

  • Mix ingredients in order given.  Beat well after each egg.  Stir in butter milk
  • Pour into 9 inch unbaked pie shell.  Opt: sprinkle top of pie with grated lemon peel
  • Bake at 425 for 10 min. lower heat to 325* Cook until firm, approx. 30-45 min.  Center should "jiggle" a little. DO NOT OVER BAKE.  Cover with foil, shiny side up, if the pie begins to get too brown.  I almost didn't cover mine in time.

The Lemon Buttermilk Pie is a recipe handed down to me by my mother, have no idea where she got it from.  This pie is a must for all holiday fares and one of my husband's favorites.

The Chocolate Buttermilk  is a brand new recipe and it will become a new must have at all family holidays and gatherings. Very rich and sweet, with a little bit of tart from the buttermilk.  Soooo good.  Especially with a dab of whipped cream on top, or maybe even some ice cream, oooh you could nuke it for a minute and then but some ice cream on it...ooooh that is soooo wrong.

And the frozen rolls were just as good as they were last weekend.  I pulled them out of the freezer, put them in a pan before I left for Church at about 6am this morning, giving them plenty of time to thaw and rise before noon.  I like the potatoes this weekend better than last, next time, unless I'm feeding Shawn or my son Chipper, I'm cutting that recipe by at least a third, maybe even half.

No comments:

Post a Comment