Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wednesday. . . again. . .

Can't believe it 2, Wednesdays in a row and I'm cookin' supper.  Tonight Mari Ann and the girls were here and naturally the subject matter of our conversation turned to food and what we were going to eat/fed the girls.  Mari Ann suggested Chili dogs and spaghetti, neither sounded that good to me.  The Sara suggested pizza.  I started to consider that suggestion, as I mental strolled through my pantry and freezer looking to see if I had all the necessary ingredients, and by george I did.  So, here are a few pictures and the recipes.  The dough recipe makes enough crust for a LARGE single pizza (depending on how thin/thick you like your crust), tonight I divided the dough into 4 equal parts and everyone made their on pizza with the toppings they like best.  We used 9 inch round cake pans.
I have no idea where I got this recipe from, but it's been in my computer cookbook forever and I found it years before I had a computer cookbook. 

Pizza Dough
  • 1 1/2 C warm water
  • 1 t  yeast
  • Stir together and let sit about 5 minutes until yeast bubbles up
  • In a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix together
  • 4 C flour
  • This feels funny...
  • 1 T salt, (yes tablespoon)

And yeast mixture on low speed.  Slowly add 4 t olive oil until dough comes together about 5 minutes.  (Alternatively, stir together in a large bowl and knead with hands)  Cover bowl with plastic wrap let rise until double in bulk about 1 1/2 hours.  Punch dough down and shape into a ball, use immediately, or rub down with 1 T oil, place in a plastic bag and refrigerate up to 24 hrs.


I just put the sauce recipe together tonight, just tossing in what I thought would taste good.

Pizza Sauce

Is she watching... maybe I can slip on one more...
  • 3 T olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
  • 1 t dried minced onion
  • 1 T Italian seasoning
  • 1 t dried minced parsley
  • 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes ( I use the petite diced)
  • 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 - 1 t Red pepper flakes (how spicy do you like it?)




Heat oil in a sauce pan, add garlic, onion, till lightly brown.  Stir in Italian seasoning, parsley, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and red pepper flakes.   Allow to simmer until sauce thickens about 10 minutes.  At this point you can use it  as is, if you like the sauce a little chunky or you can blend it to you hearts content for a smooth sauce.  Depending on how much sauce you like on your pizza this will make enough for 3 large pizzas.  I freeze the leftovers in about 2,  6 oz. cups for future use.
Aaaah, time to eat....





No comments:

Post a Comment