Sunday, May 27, 2012

A menu worth repeating...with a couple of changes

Sunday "dinner" is going to be hamburgers, a repeat of the Friday night at the family reunion, only this time I think I will try making my own buns (I didn't get to the Bread Store) and I think I will make potato salad and some deviled eggs instead of the beans and some Chocolate-Chocolate and Butterscotch Chip Moonpies.  Just in case I didn't post team 1's Friday night menu at the reunion, it was: hamburgers with brown sugar bacon (recipe below) , pepper jack and/or American cheese, avocados, and of course all the regular trimmings  like lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and mustard and/or mayo.  We also had Crock Pot Baked Beans  (recipe below) with onions baked in and brown sugar bacon crumbled on top.  Sorry no pictures of that, but I'll do my best to capture a few of this meal.
Crock Pot Baked Beans
2 cans Pork and Beans drain off as much of that juice as you can if you want thick, not runny beans
1/2 C Catsup
1/4 C Mustard
1 T Liquid smoke
1/4 C Brer Rabbit syrup (not that watery runny stuff) I like full cane flavor (some use brown sugar)
**1/3 C bacon grease melted (see note)
Onions peeled and depending on the size left whole, halved or quartered
Brown Sugar bacon, crumbled  (recipe to follow)
Place well drained beans in your crock pot set on low heat.   From here on out it's totally a matter of taste, I have never measured anything in this recipe ever, so the measurements above are no more than educated guesses and too, ti also depends on how many cans of beans you are using.  Stir together all the ingredients except for the onions and the bacon, taste and adjust to your liking.  submerge the onions in the beans and allow to cook for at least 4 hours.  When ready to serve top with crumbled bacon
**Note:   you can do this same recipe in a casserole dish, in the oven at 350 degrees for about a hour, except I usually just lay several strips of bacon on top of the beans before I bake them and don't add the bacon grease
Brown Sugar Bacon
Preheat oven to 400 deg.  Lay bacon on a metal rack that fits over a 1 inch deep cookie sheet or use a broiler pan, so the fat can drain away from the bacon.  Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the bacon to form a thin layer (you don't want it too sweet).  Place in the oven for about 20 minutes, but keep a close eye on it cause one minute it will be almost done and the next, it will be burnt.  Blot the top of the bacon with a paper towel to remove  the  excess bacon grease on top of the bacon.  Great on Hamburgers, BLT's on top of beans as well as all by itself.
Mari Ann's burger
My potato salad is another recipe I can't put on Tasty Kitchen...I don't measure, I just dump and mix till it taste good.  This is what I usually do.
Here are some pictures of the burgers we made today.
Allison's burger










A full plate
Sara's burger








Potato Salad   
4  Potatoes chopped and cooked to fork tender
Hard boiled eggs about 4 - 6
Onion chopped about 1/4 C
Celery chopped about 1/2 C (out of celery use celery seed but don't use to much)
Pickle chopped about 1/3 C (I prefer sweet, but some prefer dill)
Mustard 2 - 3 T
Yes, it is a black olive...
Mayo start with 1/2 C then add till it reaches your desired consistency or taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika

Optional:   I'm sure there is alot more out there that would be really good in potato salad but these are my favorite optionals
Olives green (with/without pimento)
Black Olives
Pimentos

The following recipe for Home Made Hamburger Buns I found on the Tasty Kitchen web site as you probably figured I had to adapt the recipe alittle to match what I have in my pantry. Next time I think I just make 6 buns with this recipe....
Homemade Hamburger Buns
3 T Warm Milk
1 C Warm Water
2 t Yeast
2-½ T Sugar
1 whole Egg
3  1/2 C + 3 T Flour
1-½ t Salt
2-½ T Butter
  • Preheat your oven to 400 deg.
  • In a mixing bowl, combine your warm milk, warm water, yeast and sugar. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes or until your yeast is bubbly. 
  • Add the egg and mix with the paddle attachment of your mixer on low speed until the egg has broken.
  • Add the flours and salt and mix. Once the flours are mixed in, add the butter and mix for about 1 minute. 
  • Switch to the dough hook and mix on low speed for about 5-7 minutes until the dough is slightly tacky. If it’s sticky, you’ll want to add more flour (1 tablespoon at a time) while it’s kneading.
  • Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let the rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
  • Once the dough has risen, divide it into 8 equal pieces and form each piece into a ball. Place each ball on a large sheet pan that has been lightly greased or lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Press down slightly on the ball because you want it to be wider rather than taller. 
  • Let these proof for 30 minutes to an hour or until almost doubled.  
  • Bake for about 15 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
The recipe below is an adaptation of 2 recipes, one I found on the Internet and the other I'm not sure, but it probably came off the Internet too.  But believe it or not neither came from Tasty Kitchen, what a shock, right...as stated in the recipe I accidentaly left out the baking soda.  I don't know for sure what the soda is suppose to do in a recipe and I will but it in the next time I make these, the taste tester (that's me) can't find one thing wrong with these cookie.  They are soft, chewy and delicious.  I used an ice cream scoop so they would be uniform in size, the small ones I baked for 8 minutes, the large 12.  I cut the marshmallows in half for the small, and left the whole for the large.
Chocolate-Chocolate & Butterscotch Chip Moon Pies
1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 C butter flavor crisco
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 sm pkg instant chocolate pudding
2 1/4 C flour
1/2 t baking soda (missed this the first time I did this)
1 t salt
2 t vanilla extract
2 large eggs at room temp
2 T hot milk with 1/2 t instant coffee dissolved in it
2 C (1 - 12oz pkg) chocolate chips
Optional:
1 C Butterscotch chips
Marshmallows to make moon pies 
Sea Salt for adult cookies sprinkle on top just prior to baking
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. 
  • In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, Crisco and both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. 
  • Reduce speed to low; add the pudding, salt, vanilla, eggs and the coffee/milk. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. 
  • Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. 
  • Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  • Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet at least 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment