Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bar-B-Q Chicken....

On the menu for today is bar-b-Que Chicken using a sauce recipe that allegedly my uncle Tracy bought from Savannah Bar-B-Que restaurant, one that Paula Deen eats at occasionally and has used a couple of times for a show of hers.  It is my favorite recipe fixed as is, but it is also good with a few alterations.  This time of the year a full recipe is a good idea, because it keeps well and like a good wine it gets better with a little age, but frequently I will cut the recipe in half.
Bar-B-Que Sauce     
42 oz   Catsup
8   oz   Mustard
1   pt  Vinegar
1/4 C  Worcestershire sauce
2  T   Lemon Juice
1 1/2  t  Sugar
1  T  Salt
2  T  Black pepper
1/8 t or more  Crushed Red Pepper to taste
1 stick  Oleo
Mix all ingredients (except for peppers and oleo) in a larger sauce pan. 
Mix well.  When heated add peppers and oleo. Cook until oleo is blended.
Allow to cool and pour into jars.  (I use Catsup bottles) Refrigerate.

Note:  add 1/2 C of brown sugar(or more), if you like your sauce on the sweet side
              1/4 C liquid smoke in the winter when it's to bad outside to grill
              an aversion to heat leave out the red pepper and maybe some of the black
              
I put my chicken in a salt and sugar brine last might. I don't like dry chicken.  Just before it goes on the grill I will give the chicken a good sprinkling of lemon pepper and about 15 minutes before the chicken is done I will slather on the BBQ sauce until it is ready to serve.  As you can see by the picture above I also made some No-Knead French Bread (3rd. recipe down).

The sides for this will be cold slaw and Butter Sauteed Corn.  The slaw is already made and in the fridge.  I have no "recipe" for this, so here is what I usually do.  Buy a bag of shredded cabbage with carrots, a small can of crushed pineapple.  Drain the pineapple saving the juice, dump the drained pineapple on top of the cabbage that is in a large bowl, start dropping in the mayonnaise (I don't like salad dressing, but if you do...) a heaping spoonful at a time, drizzle in a little of the pineapple juice, stirring well as you go when it looks, and taste right, sprinkle in a little celery seed.  But this time I had the bright idea to use some cream cheese.  So I let the cream cheese come to room temperature then I whipped in some mayonnaise, some pineapple juice and the celery seed until it looked and tasted right, then I stirred that into the cabbage and pineapple. Refrigerate until time to serve.
For the corn, just put about a 1/2 a stick of butter in a skillet when it meltes add a couple of tablespoons of chopped pimento, toss in a couple of cans of corn that have been drained or you can use frozen corn.  Add a little chopped onion, (I used the dried chopped)and some salt and pepper.  I would have added some chopped bell pepper but I was out. Saute all of this till the corn has been "pan roasted".  This tasted almost as good as fresh corn on the cob.
As a treat for desert I made some cupcakes...are you surprised?  This recipe I found on my favorite recipe website, but of course I had to make a few little changes.  I took Golden Oreo Vanilla Cupcakes and changed it to Oreo Cupcakes, by using a chocolate cake mix and Chocolate Oreos.  Don't you think lemon would be awesome, or peanut butter....I tried to cut one in half to show the cookie on the bottom like on the website, but I made a mess and had to eat the cupcake...Oh darn....




No comments:

Post a Comment