Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A vintage recipe...

This afternoon I was surfing the net looking for ...what else good recipes when I came across this one on my favorite recipe site.  This is very similar if not the same recipe I made for my family when I was in high school O'so many years ago.  My 5 brothers devoured it in no time and my mother was pleasantly surprised it didn't taste like a peanut butter cookie. It is a moist cake and the peanut butter flavor is not over whelming.  The frosting is very good too, but if my memory serves me the frosting I made back then was a cooked frosting and not as sweet.  If you are looking for something different to take to a potluck or just to serve at home, give this a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.  Also I used 2-8 inch pans as suggested in the recipe, but I feel like I could have used 2 9 inch or perhaps even 3-8 inch (double the frosting if you do that).
Ingredients
FOR THE CAKE:
½ cups Margarine Or Butter
1- cup Sugar
¼ cups Peanut Butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 whole Eggs
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Milk
FOR THE FROSTING:
Allison but Chocolate syrup on her's.
¼ cups Margarine Or Butter
¼ cups Peanut Butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla
½ teaspoons Salt
2-½ cups Powdered Sugar
3 Tablespoons Milk
Preparation Instructions
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cream the butter with the sugar. Add the peanut butter, vanilla, eggs and beat well.
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and then beat it into the creamed mixture adding it alternately with the milk.
Pour into 2 prepared 8-inch round cake pans.
Bake in the 350F oven for 35–40 minutes until just golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Take care not to over bake!
Cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting:
Cream together the margarine/butter, peanut butter, vanilla and salt. Beat well. Add powdered sugar alternately with the milk until it reaches spreading consistency. Spread on the cooled cake

No comments:

Post a Comment