Sunday, July 29, 2012

it's been a while....

But I have returned today.  For the first time I made a Chicken Lasagna.  I don't think I have ever eaten it before either, but I had some spaghetti sauce in the fridge I needed to use, so that's what I cooked.  I have used the Virginia's Easy Lasagna recipe for years.  I got it off a box of Skinner Lasagna noodles and you can find it on the box today.  I had to adapt the recipe a little but it really turned out great and it really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d  the one whole chicken to feed about 12 people.  You could use canned chicken if you want but I had a chicken in the freezer I needed to use.

 For Chicken Lasagna
2 T olive oil
2 T butter
1/4 C diced Bell pepper
1 small onion diced
1 C sliced mushrooms
1/8 t crushed red pepper of more if you like it spicier
1-3 cloves of Garlic diced
1 t Italian seasoning
1/4 C sliced black olives
3 C diced cooked chicken
3 C   Spaghetti Sauce
1 1/2 C  Water
1 3/4 C  Ricotta Cheese
2 C  Mozzarella Cheese -- grated
1/2 C  Parmesan Cheese
2 Eggs
1/4 C Fresh Parsley -- chopped
1/2 t  Salt
1/4 t  Black Pepper
1- 8 Oz Package  Lasagna Noodles Uncooked

For For Beef Lasagna
1 lb  Ground Beef
Directions:
Heat oven to 350*
For the Chicken Lasagna
  • In a large skillet melt oil and butter
  • Add bell, pepper, onion, mushroom saute till tender stir in red pepper, black olives, garlic and Italian seasoning then add chicken, spaghetti sauce and water.   Simmer
  • In  bowl mix together the ricotta, 1/2 of mozzarella,  Parmesan, eggs, parsley, salt, and pepper
For Beef Lasagna
  • In 3 qt. sauce pan brown hamburger, drain fat.  At this point you may add bell pepper, olives, pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic and Italian seasoning if you wish
  • Stir in the spaghetti  sauce and water cook 10 minutes
  • In bowl stir together ricotta, 1/2 of mozzarella,  Parmesan, eggs, parsley, salt, and pepper
To assemble:
  • Pour about 1 cup sauce on bottom of 9 X 13 pan, start with a layer of pasta, then more sauce,  1/2 ricotta mix repeat. finishing with sauce over noodles.  Top with remaining mozzarella
  • Cover and Bake 45 min  Remove foil bake an additional 15 min
  • Let stand 10 min before cutting

Note:  if you prefer you may cook the noodles before hand, if you do, omit the 1-1/2 cups of water

Later today I am going to take my Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies (6th recipe down) and try to turn them into Smore's cookies...Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment